Thursday, January 29, 2009

Sometimes it's better to be a cat

Yesterday I found out that I had passed the first half of my boards required for graduation and preliminary licensure prior to beginning residency. I had taken the test on December 16, and ever since then the belief that I had failed was hovering in the back of my mind. (The test is only pass/fail, costs $1000 + travel costs, is only offered in 5 locations throughout the US, and is difficult to schedule.) I managed to forget about it during the day over the holidays, but every night that nagging thought would pop back up. So, yesterday when I learned that I had passed, I had to keep going back to check that my mind was not playing tricks on me.

Yesterday, it felt like this huge weight was lifted off of my shoulders, and I finally slept well for the first time in 6 weeks.

Now, I can finally move on and get ready for the second half of my board exams. I own my mind again.

And I can stop wishing that I could be a cat - they always sleep well.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Sometimes I do think it would be nice to be a cat or dog; or in my case, I prefer the kitten and puppy. Congrats on passing, and I'm glad you slept better last night!

Elizabeth Halt said...

congratulations!!!

but of COURSE you passed. silly psychiatrist. too bad you couldn't have some of my faith in you - I slept very soundly for all 6 weeks. ;)

Jen H. said...

Yay...I had complete faith in you. Plus, have you ever not passed anything??? Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Amy! Glad you can sleep soundly now, too.

Amy said...

Thanks for the congrats, all. :) It would be nice if I had some of your faith in myself. :) And Jen, there's always a first time! :)

Lorz said...

CONGRATS!!! How does Katherine handle your doubts about passing? I've had to deal with Davin and 7 (or was it 8?) acturarial exams, and the 2 months it took to get results after every one. (NOT trying to compare them to boards, by any means!!!!) He was never confident- I was always. Of course he passed also. Calumet schools must be really good!!! :D

Amy said...

Hi Laura - Katherine always says that she knows I passed, which doesn't help... in regards to the actuarial exams, I've heard those are horrendous... much worse than boards, I'm sure. I do not envy Davin or you for having to go through 7 of them! Yikes!

Anonymous said...

Hooray! I watched Graham go through this as an out-of-state attorney taking the California bar exam, and the relief once the results were in was palpable.

Congratulations! Of course, we all knew you could do it. ;)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Amy!! Here's to many more sleep filled nights :)

HollyMarie said...

Ohhhhh Congratulations! What a load off! :)