Friday, January 30, 2009

Why I get more picks

We went to see Slumdog Millionaire tonight. It was Katherine's pick. I picked last weekend - Rachel Getting Married. And the time before that. And before that. And before that.... Sometimes the movie choice is unanimous, but when it's not, usually I win.

Slumdog was outstanding. It deserves to win the Oscar for Best Picture. And Best Director. If if were up to me, I'd give it the Oscar in every category it's nominated.

However, it took me half of the drive home to stop crying. Because, intermixed with the beautiful directing and inspirational love story was the truth about what life in India is like for many people. Slums. Poverty. Violence. Loss. Heartbreak. Exploitation. That's what kept me crying even after the ending with the Bollywood-ish dance scene.

I'm very happy that we saw the movie. Kath made an excellent choice. It's just going to take me a few romantic comedies to recover.

Good thing February and Valentine's Day is just around the corner. The movies will be ripe for my picking.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I'm glad that that you recommend it. I want to go see it but wasn't sure if it was strictly an action-type movie or not.
How was "Rachel Getting Married"? A theater or rental? I would love to see that as well!

Amy said...

Rachel Getting Married is a rental, I'd say. Slumdog is definitely worth theater tickets. It's not really the action category either... more drama.