Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Milk, it does a body good

Kath and I went to see Millk on Sunday afternoon. We've been waiting to see it since it came out, and it lived up to our expectations. In light of the recent election results, I thought the movie was aptly timed in its release. I thought I would make it through the movie without crying, since I knew the story, but no... the last scene with the candlelight march left me mopping my eyes with my butter-soaked napkin.

Kath and I were thinking that if Harvey Milk had been alive today, Proposition 8 would not have passed in California. Milk fought to prevent Proposition 6 from passing in California at the time - this would have led to the firing of all gay and lesbian teachers and their supporters in California schools. Part of their strategy was to encourage gay individuals to come out to everyone they knew as a way to show people that someone that they knew was gay.

My theory is that being closeted about anything is unhealthy. Living my life honestly and without fear of others' opinions of my life is always best. I certainly have struggled with this at times, but I find that I am happier when I live in this way. It does help that I have a home with someone who loves me, always.

This "someone" tends to be more aware of others' opinions. And, she may disagree with me that living one's life without consideration for others' opinions is always best. Especially when I tell her that I would never break up with her because "I know that I am the best person for her." Then she rolls her eyes and makes comments about a "ball and chain." Luckily, I know that just means that she loves me and doesn't want to admit that I'm right.

8 comments:

Lorz said...

I haven't seen Milk- heck, I haven't seen any movie in ages! And I don't know much about California laws (sorry!), so I can't comment on that.

However, I do agree on the honesty thing. Honesty is the most important part of any relationship! Sometimes I think I'm honest to a fault- yikes! But I believe honesty is the only way to live a true life. It sounds so simple, right? It's something for everyone to work on.

Rolling eyes- sounds like Davin! Hey, I just tell him what we both already know! :D

Elizabeth Halt said...

I agree with you about the living honestly. However, I still think that there are some people who say, "I believe in being completely honest" because they really just want a way to say whatever they think, regardless of whether it is necessary or hurtful or .. I don't think that best. Anyway, just look at how much emotional distress I caused myself because I cared too much about other people's opinions. Bah. :)

I'll have to watch it when it comes out on DVD.

Amy said...

Oh, I agree with you, Lib, about that... living honestly and saying whatever it is that comes into your head are two completely different things.

Lorz said...

I am one that tries VERY HARD to think before speaking. I know I often blurt things out. However, I honestly think I tend to see the good in people, so most blurts aren't offensive. I always feel terrible when I feel like I have said something I shouldn't have! So, like I said- yikes!

Amy said...

Laura - Lib and I are referring to a "more malicious" honesty... we all say things that we shouldn't... there are some people who have find too much joy in it. :)

Lorz said...

Yes, that's what I figured, but I thought it best I clarify myself. LOL. :D

Leanne said...

I agree. Speaking honestly does not equal living honestly. Most of the people I surround myself with speak kindly, for which I am insanely grateful (even or especially you, Laura). I am proud of you for living your life well, Amy. You sound very well grounded. :)

Sharyn said...

It can be watched here: http://www.hulu.com/watch/49577/the-times-of-harvey-milk

I watched it, I dunno, about a month ago. I love history and thought it was fascinating.