Tuesday, March 25, 2008

A little break

I turned my thesis in yesterday. Not quite complete.. some formatting issues and EndNote stuff, but the writing was done. It was exhausting, and I am happy to have a break for one day. I have to get ready for my defense next week, but that will start tomorrow.

Kath and I went shopping at the outlet mall yesterday. I needed some new clothes that are clinic-appropriate... after years of grad-school drudgery. :) She needed some shirts for teaching. We were both successful... Katherine and I both commented, though, on how nice men's casual clothes are compared to women's. I mean... they make nice, relaxed t-shirts and shirts for guys.. no too tight tops with teeny capped sleeves... just casual comfortable clothes. So, two of her shirts for teaching came from the men's section at Banana Republic... small polo shirts on a wicked sale. I found success at the Eddie Bauer outlet. Yay!

The kitties and I are just hanging out out today. I slept in until 11 and they slept with me... after taking a nap yesterday for an hour and falling asleep while we were watching Harry Potter at 9 pm last night. They're all napping again. :)

Katherine's been doing the bulk of the work around here lately... and I was supposed to make Easter dinner last night.. but that didn't happen (we're going to have it on Sunday - Barefoot Contessa grilled chicken recipe)... but I wanted to do something, so I thought I'd make pannukokkua (Finnish eggy pancakes) while Kath went to tutor. Katherine has issues with food "textures", so pannukokkua is not her "favorite" meal, for that reason (but, basically all we have in the house right now are eggs and milk). I told her my plan and she said, "Oh, that's a great ideal. I'm not that hungry tonight!" Hee hee.

Maybe I'll make Katherine something special tonight. She certainly deserves it. She came in yesterday morning when I was frantically finishing up after my all-nighter (which I don't do well with) and kept me calm through that last hour of making tables of contents and copies, etc. I'm very lucky.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS! What an accomplishment. You are deservedly (sp?) tired. I know that Kath was very happy to "hold down the fort" while you finished up. I know that you would (and have) done the same for her. Enjoy your respite for the day and enjoy the new duds.

Hugs, Marianne

Elizabeth Halt said...

yay!!!

enjoy your meal - that is sounding really good but I have no milk, or flour, or sugar ..

Unknown said...

Congratulations! Once the bulk of the work is done, things start to get easier. I hope your thesis defense preparation goes well and involves no all-nighters.

I miss that outlet mall, especially the gap outlet store. The only pants I own from Banana Republic is also from that mall. Man, I miss true shopping places.

The grilled chicken sounds good. Btw, the macaroni I made turned out not too badly. It was a bit milky but the oven explosion helped that situation a little bit. I asked mom and she said the 'recipe' depends on whether you like hers or gramma's better as they are different. Mom cooks the noodles for the least amt of time (6 minutes), makes the layers and then lets it sit for a while. The noodles soak up some of the milk and then she adds more milk before she cooks it. That was one of her ways to sneak more milk into us kids, she said. I'm going to try cooking the noodles a little less next time and see how it goes. I'll let you know if I figure out the best way.

Amy said...

Hi Marianne, Lib, and Laura... thanks for the well-wishes.. I made yummy pasta from smitten kitchen tonight... sauted cauliflower with onions, garlic, and olive oil and feta cheese with whole wheat pasta.... it was great. We both loved it.. very springy...

I won't be doing any allnighters, laura.. :)

Elizabeth Halt said...

that does sound good. I might try that this weekend, only with goat cheese instead of feta.

Unknown said...

Got the results of my blood work back this morning. Everything is good (trigs, cholesterol, etc) except various aspects of my iron are low. Not enough to mean anything, however. I think my total cholesterol was 139, my HDL 55 and my LDL 68.

Enjoy your weekend; hope it is productive with some fun :)

Laura:)