Wednesday, December 31, 2008

"Nothing's going to change my world"

Whenever I'm on vacation on Cape Cod, I never know what is going on in the outside world. Mainly, this occurs because I don't watch the news or check the news online or read any newspapers other than the local Enterprise. One might think that reading the local paper would give me some inkling of happenings of import, but when the police log discusses details about "12 burlap sacks removed from trees, and the victim requested that police patrol her neighborhood more often", there isn't a whole lot of room left for news of national import. But, you can bet that the police log is entertaining!

But, I don't mind. It allows me, if just briefly, to live in a world where everything is good and right and nothing bad happens. It's good for the psyche to live in such a world just for a bit. Even if it's not real.

Because that world doesn't really exist. Today, I decided to check the news online, and the first story I happened upon involved an 11 year-old girl who died of hypothermia in Shoshone, Idaho. Her father and a friend were driving her and her brother to their mom's house for Christmas. The car got caught in a snowbank, and her father told the brother and sister to walk the almost 10 miles to their mom's house. Rescue workers had to traipse through 4-foot high snowbanks to rescue the brother who had taken off some of his clothes due to hypothermia-induced delirium. This happened on Christmas Day.

I think I'll go back to my happy bubble for a while, thank you.

2 comments:

Elizabeth Halt said...

geez .. did you have to ruin my happy bubble too?

Laura Jean said...

Bubbles are good. I only peek out of mine about once a week to see what's going on in the world. I ponder the sad stories, and then enclose myself right back in my bubble. ...this is not exactly true, but it does sound like a nice life- maybe I should try it. :)