Friday, February 5, 2010

February blah

What is it about February? This month comes along and no matter how happy and jolly I might be with all of the leftover goodwill from the holidays, this time of year hits and blah, bleh, blegh. I just want to curl up in a little ball under my bedclothes and come out only when it's spring.

Even the lovely thought of a 3 -day weekend for the next 3 weeks is not pulling me out of the doldrums today.

Maybe that's why we have February. Or whatever your funky month is. Maybe we just need that time to let ourselves get all wallowy and miserable and eat loads of chocolate cake that's been staring me in the face for the last week and drink 2 glasses of red wine that's sitting on the counter at 3-in-the-afternoon-people!-that-is-way-too-early, and soak in a hot, hot, hot bath while reading People magazine and then curl up on the couch in my pajamas and watch a way-too-sappy romantic movie that's really actually pretty good despite poor reviews and is good for a good cry because the main character's wife has died and he's coming to terms with it after 3 years, and then it makes me think that what if Kath were to die and it makes me cry more. Maybe we need these kind of days. Good for the emotional equilibrium and all.

Hmmm. I feel pretty good now.

Which is good because I made reservations for us tonight at this neat looking restaurant that we've been wanting to try.
I have just enough time to get rid of the evidence that I polished off the rest of the chocolate cake, clean up the kitchen and the bathroom, and get gussied up and ready to go out tonight.

It could just be that post-chocolate cake serotonin surge. Whatever. At this time of year, I'll take anything that works.

3 comments:

HollyMarie said...

Oh you are too funny! But, yes, this time of year is always hard. It's always tight financially, I'm ready for winter to just GO away, and even Ellie is praying for summer to come. The only bright spot is that mid-Feb brings my birthday... it gets me through!

Elizabeth Halt said...

For me, that month might be January. And as it turns out, time in the sun at the end of the month makes a month pretty darn enjoyable. Note to self. (Because I saw buds and even a few flowers on our morning walk so spring might actually be springing here. Did I mention that I love it here. Hee.)

I can't make the cake until I own a Bundt pan. Ah well .. I figure the odds are good that you will make it for me sometime. ;)

Glad you had some good downtime. :)

Leanne said...

I'm with you. I've really been struggling this month, more than I can remember in years past. But maybe I say that every year. :)

The hardest part for me is the two rugrats I'm in charge of that are as stir crazy as I am. Tricky business, parenting.

Hang in there, Spring will come!