Thursday, March 26, 2009

Heaven never seemed too appealing to me...

When I was little, I was told that everyone doesn't go to heaven. So my thought was that, in heaven, we must not know other people. Because clearly, if we recognized the other people in heaven, then we would know who wasn't there, so how could we be happy?! But, on the other hand, heaven wouldn't be that fun if we didn't know our family and friends.... It was a pickle, I tell you.

Also, I envisioned heaven to be filled with clouds where we would sit all day, singing church hymns, and listening to endless sermons.

So, you can imagine why it didn't sound that enticing to me.

7 comments:

Elizabeth Halt said...

I must confess, that still doesn't sound appealing. It sounds horribly dull.

When I imagine heaven .. which I generally don't .. I picture it to be like the description in The Last Battle. In other words, like life on earth, only life on earth with only pure positive energy.

But then again, I don't really believe that not everyone will go to heaven .. and I totally expect that when I get there, Atlas will come running to meet me. So you can tell how well my ideas on heaven might be received. ;)

Lorz said...

Yes, not too appealing. However, my vision is appealing to me: I picture the clouds- I mean, really, who doesn't want to walk on fluffy clouds? It's peaceful- always peaceful and tranquil. I can listen to my favorite music and dance. Everyone is friendly, and there is not pain, sadness, or suffering. I can see my friends and loved ones, or I can find my own little cloud and read a good book. ...sigh, I imagine a beautiful heaven... :)

Anonymous said...

Me, neither- eternal peace/perfection sounds like a snoozefest, to me. Also, I wonder if thinking that we have some perfect afterlife waiting for us makes it harder to live in the present, or to try and make a difference in this imperfect world.

Elizabeth Halt said...

laura: I do think it would be fun to walk on clouds. Maybe I'll amend my vision .. I'll imagine it to be like life on earth with only pure positive energy, and we have finally figured out how to fly (and walk on clouds)!

Leanne said...

I love to envision heaven. I've read quite a few books written by people who claim to have died and gone to heaven. I love the images they describe, particularly the weighlessness and pure joy. I'm not anxious to leave the earth, but my vision of heaven does allow for some amount of excited anticipation!

Amy - you said you used to. How do you envision it now? Or do you?

Amy said...

Now I just have come to the conclusion that I cannot comprehend such a place. It is beyond what my mind is capable of understanding. I like the idea of being weightless, though.... and I hope that I can still enjoy food. (But then, my little mind wonders what happens to our bodily wastes... I can't imagine that is such a heavenly thing. :)

Lorz said...

LOL! Amy, you are, without a doubt, a doctor. In heaven you can eat whatever you want, and magically there is no indigestion and no need to expel waste. ...that's coming from my simple mind. :D