Growing up, Kath and I both had great role models for relationships in our respective parents. Even so, when I was younger, I never understood how anyone could want to live with someone else for the rest of their life. I couldn't imagine loving someone that much, until I met Katherine. Then my parents' relationship made sense - because I enjoyed doing everything with Katherine and would rather spend time with her than anyone else. We have a great relationship, the two of us. Neither of us likes to argue, so we don't have many difficulties. Our friend Joe says that we have the perfect relationship, and we're not allowed to break up because it would crush him. (Don't worry, Joe. We won't.)
Nobody has the "perfect" relationship, though. Both Kath and I have noticed, how, when our lives get busier, it's easy to take the other person for granted. We can start drifting along, caught up in our own individual problems, and forget to check in on the other. Like lately, for example. Kath's busy with the first couple of weeks of school, and I'm busy getting my residency application ready and taking care of and thinking about "my own" patients on my Med-Psych subinternship. So, I was all caught up in my own business and planning on giving up my day off today to go in this morning and check in on my patients. (I should remember this next year, as an intern. NEVER give up your day off.) Kath was very understanding and told me it would be ok if I went in. But then, thankfully, I came to my senses and realized that I wouldn't get another day to sleep in until next weekend, potentially. And, it also gave me the opportunity to have a relaxing morning with Kath. That is, if cleaning and cooking and killing fruit flies counts as relaxing. :) But, it did give us the opportunity to spend some time together just doing our normal things. It was nice.
My definition of a good relationship is that it feels easy. I just need to remember that just because it's easy doesn't mean I can just coast along. Nothing good comes too easy. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I like that -- and I like that it's so easy to love the person I do.
I would add that it helps when your partner loves you for the same reasons you love yourself. Because it's awfully hard to be you when that other person finds it offensive.
Post a Comment