Saturday, August 9, 2008

Why I couldn't deliver babies for a career.

I took part in my first delivery this week. I was the lucky person sitting at the foot of the bed responsible for guiding the baby's delivery and making sure she didn't make her entrance too quickly (of course, with a lot of much-needed guidance and assistance from my attending doc). It was an amazing experience and I didn't drop her. (Babies are slippery when they're born, fyi.)

I understand why people love delivering babies in their practice. It's a thrilling part of medicine, especially when it goes well. However, I can see why I wouldn't be as successful at it. As soon as the baby was born, I just wanted to remain with the nurses who were cleaning her off and making sure everything was ok. I love newborn babies. I think they're so tiny and cute and wrinkly and they have this cute way of crying that just makes your heart melt. But, as the doc, once the baby is born, it's not as though your task is done.... there is still the other important patient - the mom - and you need to make sure the placenta is delivered completely and all bleeding is controlled.

My problem is that once I see a newborn baby, all rational, logical thoughts leave my head and I just want to marvel at how cute the baby is. That's not so effective when you're the doctor.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Is this your family practice rotation?

Elizabeth Halt said...

interesting. I guess I could deliver babies then, since I do not think them particularly cute. :-)