Monday, June 22, 2009

Not so foreign

When my flatmate in England talked about her need to keep her boyfriend a secret from her family (both were Muslim, one family was Sunni and one was Shiite), I found her situation incredulous. I had no understanding as to how religion could be so divisive.

Clearly, I was blind.

Religion (or what some may think of as a lack thereof) has divided my own family, several generations before me. It has affected the generation above me as well.

And now, it has affected me and my generation.

I still don't understand it.

When I hear phrases like "blood is thicker than water" and "family -the ties that bind", I always think... well, just throw a little religion and politics into the mix and watch them unravel.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Some families and people handle change better than others. We all can learn a little more tolerance. I know how you feel only a little; however, I am learning that I don't always have to share with those I know don't need to know. That would have been too hard to do in your case.

Amy I said...

Religion and family is something I struggle with as well. I don't understand it, either. I think the world, and people, are much more complex than fundamentalists would like to believe. I don't understand people who don't ask questions about what they're being taught (or told.)

Elizabeth Halt said...

well .. we'll have an eternity to ponder it .. while the little devils with pitchforks are poking us.

hehehehehehehehehe ..

*tries to be serious*

*fails*

*goes back to giggling*

Leanne said...

Yes. The thing that should unite us more frequently divides us. While there is sadness in that for me, there is far more joy in my spiritual journey to make up for that sadness.

I understand this post too well.

ethiopifinn said...

the way we were raised is really a culture centered around religious teachings. while i still hold the teaching close to me, i find comfort in it, my life does not adhere to the cultural norms. my break from the culture is more accepted by the family, and the group, as it is only more like a loop hole.

at least you will have elizabeth to keep you company.