Katherine watched a documentary titled "Who Killed the Electric Car?" the other day while I was studying. I didn't catch all of it, but I caught enough to know that GM had invested in research and development of an electric car back in the 90s, but then killed it and destroyed all of its test cars for unknown but undoubtedly political reasons. The documentary was shocking, and I was angered by the shortsightedness of GM's corporate headquarters.
So, it was quite amusing, in a way, to see this latest headline in the New York Times, "China Vies To Be World Leader in Electric Car". Also, one sentence particularly caught my eye.. "The United States has been a laggard in alternative vehicles." I bet that is particularly infuriating to the engineers who worked on the electric car project. They were way ahead of the curve, and GM and politicians destroyed their project.
I find this especially interesting in light of GM's current financial predicament. I feel like the electric cars that GM destroyed may be the ones laughing now, in their junkyard graves.
I also recommend that you watch the documentary. If you are not upset by corporate America already, I can guarantee that you will be after you watch it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
it's on my list to watch someday .. good to know it's worth watching. :)
Post a Comment