Tuesday, October 7, 2008

When is a tablespoon not a tablespoon?

I am baking Tyler Florence's ultimate caramel apple pie for us to enjoy while watching or not watching the debate tonight. I am using the Jonagold and Spigold apples freshly picked by us this weekend at Wilson's Apple Orchard (picked off of the trees no less... usually Kath and I go out to the orchard and the trees are bare and we end up picking apples from the bins inside). However, I am a trifle befuddled by Tyler's directions. The recipe calls for 3 tablespoons of ice-cold water to moisten the dough. I found myself using at least 3 times that much. How can that be? Is Tyler using a different version of a tablespoon than me?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hard to say, hard to say. My luck in trying new (or Mom's) recipes have not been good; however, my macaroni and cheese is slowly getting figured out.

How I wish I could make baking powder biscuits...I'll have to try again this fall.

Hope the pie turns out yummy; it sounds good!

Btw, after this job I will be ready to care for any of our relatives. We do take clients to the bathroom an awful lot. :) Hope your week is going well.

Elizabeth Halt said...

I said apples with caramel sauce, not caramel apple pie, LOL

that sounds good. If I can find an apple orchard, maybe I'll try it this weekend - though I'm not sure I'm ready to try pie crust.

is it better than the caramel apple pie you made for Christmas in England? I do have that recipe still ..

HollyMarie said...

Amy, I found your blog through your sis Elizabeth who found my blog by a way she can't remember. Anyway, howdy! It's good to catch up. I noticed that your "Currently" says you are reading Tracy Kidder's Mountains Beyond Mountains. I read that last December before giving it to Luke as a grad gift. I think I dropped the hint too many times that I think he should study infectious disease. Good book! If you haven't read "There is no Me without You" by Melissa Fay Greene, you have to pick that one up in the near future. Powerful read as well.