Thursday, June 21, 2012

Brain purge

I've noticed over the past several years that at times I will be saying something or have a certain expression, and then for a moment it will feel like I'm observing myself and I'll think... "That looks (or sounds) exactly like Mom." It's a weird feeling. Raising eight children certainly can't have been easy and must have been very stressful at times, and as one who appreciates order and "everything having its place", I now empathize with the times my mom would come into our bedroom with a box when we were young (after not having cleaned up as we were supposed to do), and say "whatever is not put away is going in the trash." I see it in myself now... when I get stressed, those are the nights at 10pm as we're going to bed that I say, "Katherine.. we need to clean the bedroom. I can't sleep like this!" and then will start emptying the bureaus of the piles of stuff... or start vacuuming... or doing the dishes at 11pm. Katherine has learned to just let me clean at these times, and the mood passes after an hour.

Puck is losing weight on her new diet plan, which involves diet food and placing the other kitties' bowls where she can't access them. Dory, however, is gaining weight, as she now is eating her own (diet) food (which she apparently wasn't getting before because Puck would eat it), Puck's leftovers at times, and Ty's urinary tract formula food (which Dory loves).

I love when Kath is on summer vacation. I feel like I'm living vicariously through her. Also, I have a list of projects for her to do in her free time - like shampoo the rugs and paint the entryway and remaining trim.

2012 has been full of highs and lows already. I want more highs.

We went to the Farmers' Market last weekend for the first time, after getting a late breakfast at our favorite diner (where I had my new favorite omelette with feta cheese, pesto, carmelized onions, spinach, and tomato). We bought a cup (from a pottery booth... beautiful... one that matched our current toothbrush holder and I plan on using it in the bathroom for rinsing one's mouth, etc.... Kath rolled her eyes so I shooed her out of the booth as I was making this purchase :), a small bunch of lettuce, and two delicious cupcakes. I'm now excited to go to the Farmers' Market to get more cupcakes. I rationalize this by the fact that Kath isn't around much in the summer, so lots of veggies may just go to waste. :)

I wish the longest day of the year was in July. It seems more appropriate for some reason.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Graham enjoys the Farmer's Market much more now that it sometimes means wood-fire-grilled pizza for breakfast. He was unaware that farmers grew pizza.

Elizabeth Halt said...

I go to the Saturday market on the PSU campus purely to eat lunch and people watch. I never buy anything else, unless it's dessert. ;) Oh. Once I bought a cucumber and once I bought cherries.

Yay for your new bathroom cup! I am excited about it!

I wish more highs for you too.