Thursday, July 1, 2010

PGY2

Today is my first day as a "Resident". Although I have been in my residency program for the last year, the first year is the "intern" year, and only after our post-graduate year 1 (PGY1) year is complete, can we call ourselves residents.

Intern year is like a marathon. It seems long, grueling at times, sometimes you're on auto-pilot and going through the motions, some days you're on a high, feeling good, feeling like you know what you're doing, and then you have days when you feel like you're floundering, when you're tired and exhausted, when you want to - and do - cry in front of your loved ones or colleagues or attendings.

Granted, I had a very good intern year. I got more sleep than many interns do. I worked fewer hours than many interns do. Partly because of the way our program is structured and partly because my specialty values a healthy lifestyle for its doctors more than many other specialties do. But, I didn't realize how long the year was, and how tired I was until this last month. I felt tired, emotionally spent, and less useful than previous months. I've been exhausted the past few nights... now that the weather has cooled off and sleep is possible, especially.

But today, the first day of my PGY2 year, I feel good. No, I feel great! I am back at the hospital where I did my medicine months seeing patients on the consult team. And, I start my long-term outpatient clinic... with my very own office and computer. One which I can decorate.

I'm so excited.
One year down.
Three to go.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay!!! (and thanks for using, and explaining, PGYII; our residents write it on all of their notes, but I never knew what it actually stood for.) I hope your next three years are good and you continue to learn and enjoy psychiatry!! Have fun decorating your office!!!

Elizabeth Halt said...

Enjoy!

Hmmmm. You need some gorgeous photos for your new office. Like that one of the Bourne Bridge. :)

HollyMarie said...

Yay! Congrats on being 1 year down! (and your own office is nice too!)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I hope your program continues to take care of you so you can take care of your patients. :)