Sunday, June 15, 2008

It's raining, it's flooding

If you haven't seen the news, Iowa is being overrun by floodwaters these days. This is the case in Iowa City and Coralville as well. Luckily, Kath and I live far enough away and high enough up that we are not in danger of having our home go under. But, just a half mile away, the Coralville strip is under 5 feet of water. All of the University Arts campus is underwater, and the water is slowly creeping towards the library, the College of Education, and additional buildings on the east side of campus. It's surreal. When I wake up in the morning, it is unfathomable until I see it again. Yesterday, I had to cross the river to get to the Free Clinic so I walked across one of the two remaining open bridges. Water was beginning to pool on the east side of the bridge over the road... and I haven't checked yet this morning to see if it still is open. The river is supposed to crest on Tuesday so it will only get worse until then. It's scary to see what Mother Nature can do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you guys are safe! It must be an incredible thing to be living through. Good thoughts coming your way from here in Philly! <3

Anonymous said...

Phrew! I'm relieved to hear you are not under water at your home. Mother Nature really is amazing... Bring a snorkel and fins the next time you cross the bridge; just in case! Maybe water wings, too. ;)