Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Life's little hiccups

Kath never pages me at work, so yesterday when I was running from patient to patient, and I saw her phone number on my pager I did get a bit worried.
Turns out, it was for good reason. She called to tell me that "I think I ruptured my Achilles tendon during basketball practice." Ouch.
Luckily, it was her nondominant foot, so she could drive home. Luckily, I was at the hospital already so I could meet her and take her to the ER. Luckily, her time in the ER was fairly speedy-she was in and out in 2 hours. Luckily, she has almost no pain. Her foot is just kind of "floppy."

Unluckily, it is pretty obvious that she did completely tear her tendon and will need surgery to repair it. She has to wait a week to let the initial swelling go down before she sees the orthopedic surgeon.

Luckily, our insurance just was switched and we picked the maximal coverage. Luckily I have a week off at the end of January so we're hoping we can schedule her surgery at that time, when I can be home to pamper her. Luckily, she still has a few days off to rest on the couch (and not hop around playing Wii sports!).

Not the way we planned to start the New Year, but luckily she got plenty of DVDs in her Christmas stocking for just such an occasion.
I'm just thinking I should hide the Wii.

4 comments:

HollyMarie said...

Bummer! Hope recovery after surgery is speedy and painless!

Elizabeth Halt said...

Oh, poor Katherine. I hope recovery goes well.

Happy New Year! <3

Unknown said...

I am back to your blog! Didn't get around to getting my hard drive out of the suitcase yet, so I finally just looked up your blog. Now I know how she did it. Hope surgery and recovery goes well and she gets excellent PT!!! Let me know if we can help at all.

Leanne said...

Oh, man! Get well, Katherine!